Entries are open for the April 5th Santa Anita Derby Day 5K. See website.
February 2, 2014A sold-out, capacity crowd on Super Bowl Sunday helped the 2014 Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon enjoy a big day. The Half is expected to be the 15th largest 13.1-mile race in America for 2014 after close to 18,000 entrants lined up on the starting line. One hour, 9 minutes and 51 seconds later, Cheyne Inman broke the finish line tape as the champion. Mandy Grantz was the women's winner in 1:16:06. In the marathon, Charles White (2:33:21) and Emily Gordon (2:39:58) claimed the titles. Runners from 50 states and 33 countries have participated in the Kinane Events-managed race. See website.
OCEANSIDE, Nov. 28, 2013 - Ahead of the biggest crowd (10,000) ever to run the Pacific Marine Credit Union O'side Turkey Trot or any race in North San Diego County, 5 Mile winner Lukas Verzbicas had a lot for which to be thankful.
"This is my first big running event and race that I've won since my cycling accident," said Verzbicas, who came back from a devastating accident that left him with an almost completely severed spine, an injury so severe doctors told his family he would never walk again.
Verzbicas (No. 58 in the lower left photo, not only has come back to running, but is on track to seriously chase some unique Olympic goals in 2016.
Read his story and the story of the 2013 PMCU O'side Turkey Trot at the event website.
HUNTINGTON BEACH, October 27, 2013 - "Beating the guys today was pretty awesome," said Idaho's Bradi Hutchison, a surprising and runaway winner in the Surf City 10K presented by McKenna VW. "But, it was nothing like the challenge of dodging charging moose while training in the remote mountains surrounding Pocatello."
Hutchison's startling victory capped an ideal day with cool, overcast conditions for running in Southern California that attracted a crowd of 4,000 participants and 6,000 spectators to the Surf City 10 and continued a 58-year tradition of running in this beach city by featuring a 10-mile, 10K, 5K and kids' races on a flat, fast course on historic Pacific Coast Highway.
Hutchison, a 23-year-old former Iowa State runner and pre-med student who was in Southern California to visit her fiancée, won the 10K in 36:35. Not only was it the fastest time in the race, but it was well ahead of runner-up Luis Saldivar of San Bernadino (38:27).
The dominating victory by a Hutchison came after an opening 10 Mile Race that was won by hometown runner Stephan Shay. The pre-race favorite, who brought a 1:02:26 best in the half-marathon into the event, ran away from his competition and won in 51:02.
Former UCLA distance standout and Beverly Hills runner Katja Goldring won the women's race in 57:39, good enough for 11th overall and a five-minute margin of victory.
"Being from Huntington Beach, I've run this stretch many times, so it was pretty much what I expected," said Shay. "It was good. It was pretty much what I expected time wise, also. And, of course, I wanted to come out here and win this race being a local."
1. Stephan Shay, male 27 years old; Huntington Beach, 51:02
2. Jacques Sallberg, male 39 years old; Pasadena, CA 52:08
3. Thomas Finnigan, male 24 years old; Glendora, CA 52:59
1. Katja Goldring, Female 23 years old; Beverly Hills, CA 57:39
2. Carla McAllister, Female 40 years old; San Clemente, CA 1:02:40
3. Sue Zihlmann, Female 49 years old; Long Beach, CA 1:07:11
1. Luis Saldivar, male 31; San Bernardino, CA 38:27
2. Lee Burch, male 39; Newport Beach, CA 39:28
3. Sean Maher, male 45 years old; Altadena, CA 40:30
1. Bradi Hutchison, female 23 years old (1st overall); Pocatello, Idaho 36:35
2. Kimberly Smith, female 41 years old; Victorville, CA 41:50
3. Jeanne Formosa, female 37 years old; Fountain Valley, CA 42:17
1. Brian Brieryly, male 28 years old; Huntington Beach, CA 16:00
2. Sebastian Puraci, male 20 years old; Highland, CA 16:15
3. Danny Reid, male 30 years old; Huntington Beach, CA 16:19
1. Sue Davis, female 51 years old; Costa Mesa, CA 19:18
2. Jessica Blackwell, female 30 years old; Laguna Niguel 20:37
3. Susan Convery, female 43 years old; Huntington Beach, CA 21:49
© Kinane Events | firstname.lastname@example.org | 760-434-5255